James Reed, a Borough firefighter, sustained burns in his airway and in a precarious condition is being transferred to Lehigh Valley Hospital’s burn unit. This sad news was reported in FB by his son, James Jr. who also thanked all of his dad’s supporters who expressed comforting thoughts and good wishes.

Reed Sr. was hurt while fighting a fire and was carried unconscious from a burning home all along South Walnut St. earlier today. He was transported across town towards a Life Flight helicopter waiting for him at a landing site at the Mount Carmel Area High School. It was good that he was conscious and even talking to the emergency responders who transported him to the area hospital.

Police Officer Todd Owens said he will be updating the condition of the victim sometime later. In fact, Owens said that the chief was concerned about the continuing the firefighting effort and was hoping that the fire will be quelled.

Personnel of the Elysburg Ambulance reported that Reed was intubated and were pacing him with a heart monitor.

Reed has been a firefighter for a longtime in the borough and is also president of one of the borough’s fire companies, the American Hose and Chemical Fire Company.

The ambulance carrying Reed to the hospital left the fire scene at around 1:15 o’clock that afternoon.

Starting from the burning homes, Reed was carried on a gurney by the emergency responders who performed CPR outside the house.

Due to the difficult state of affair, a “may day” call came from the emergency communications that as a sign that a firefighter was in distress.

Firefighters came from the entire region battled the fire that reached three alarms that continued for at least six homes in Block 200 block in South Walnut Street. Although as of late as 2:45 o’clock that afternoon the fire was under control but it continued burning.

Borough police officer, Chris Buhay said that aside from one critical injury, the fire displaced 11 people. In the area, one home was for sale and some units are for rent.

Buhay described the scene as filled with a lot of black smoke and they found out that the fire started it at No. 217 S. in Walnut, where firefighters first arrived to start fighting the blaze 11:40 o’ clock that morning. He stated that in his 20-year career, this is the first time that he saw so many apparatus in Mount Carmel to combat a fire.

The apparatus came from as far away as Mahonoy and Espy and City. There were also apparatus coming from units of Warrior Run and Middleburg that had to travel through Kulpmont at 2:30 o’clock that afternoon. They came with glaring lights and loud sirens responding hurriedly to the scene.

The good news is that all residents were able to escape from their burning homes.

If you or your loved one has been harmed or fatally injured due to negligence or someone else fault, contact an accident lawyer now for free consultation. You may be entitled to financial compensation for economic damages, as well as pain and suffering.

Source: Firefighter Close Calls.Com